My name is Alex. I’m married to my better half James. Mom to Little Miss L and Little Miss C. My Nikon is surgically attached to my hand and I needed a place to put the photos. We live in a little McHome in the suburbs in Canada that we are trying to fix up while dreaming of living in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere.
This was me when I was little. Everything you’re thinking about that kid when you see this photo, is most likely true of my personality today.
Except now I have longer hair and I can’t rock those shorts anymore.
Random facts about me:
- I am sci-fi nerd. LOST. Fringe. Smallville. The Matrix. Westworld. One of my favourite movies is Empire Strikes Back. One of my favourite movie quotes is “I love you.” “I know.” I have an R2-D2 cell phone case. Enough said.
- In my pre-suburban life, I worked in television and lived downtown in the city. When you go from being a TV producer to staying at home with your kids, it’s kind of like the equivalent of being grounded as an adult. I needed to maintain my love of creative story telling so I started this blog.
- I do not blog on a regular schedule. If you are a person that wants posts delivered on certain days each week, that is not me. I write posts as I do projects and have things I want to share. I am just warning you in advance in case you’re like “Did she go on vacation?” No. I am just probably watching The Walking Dead marathon on AMC.
- I was a bad Canadian and hated beer my entire life until I was pregnant with my 2nd child. Then it was all I craved. Now it’s the reason we built the mini bar in our previous basement. That and wine.
- My favourite author is John Irving. The Cider House Rules and A Widow for One Year changed how I saw literature. I got a chance to work at an event where he did a reading once. And I spent 10 mins awestruck standing next to him and his publicist backstage and I couldn’t figure out how to get out a “Hello” if my life depended on it.
- I could probably work without training in IKEA’s market hall. It’s a problem. On that note, if I buy something from IKEA there’s a good chance it will be discontinued by the time you read about it on here. If you like something, buy it before I do. It’s like a curse.
- Do not make me look for a Font to use for a project. I love Typography and will easily spend an entire day choosing one.
- I have a big addiction to Scandinavian decor but I am also obsessed with Canadiana. I affectionately call my style Modern Antique. Somehow put together it all works. If I had decor motto it would be “I like uncomplicated.” Patterns and me do not get along.
- Thrift stores are my second home. Possibly first.
- I like white walls. Please don’t make me paint anything in colour. I will get tired of it by next week. Ok, I lied. We just painted our dining room dark navy blue and now I feel like a traitor to all my Pinterest boards.
- I have a very dark self-deprecating sense of humour. So if you read about my going to the LCBO with my kids, I’m totally joking. Maybe.
- Nocturnal by nature, I am not a morning person, yet my favourite time of day is just before the sun rises. I am never awake early enough to see it.
The best place to find me is on Twitter. I love social media in general but at least with Twitter you don’t have to stage a photo to say Hi. Oh don’t pretend like you don’t know what I mean Instagram junkies.
Just a side note, if you’re new here, my first blog was called northofseven. Because of this I have a lot of older posts and photos watermarked with my old blog name. So I apologize in advance for any confusion they may cause. I am working on updating them. Read: that is never going to happen. I’ve accepted it.
Life & Style is where I blog about fashion, day to day life and product reviews. Blogging is where you can find my musings about blogging and social media. Travel – pretty self explanatory and it’s a section I definitely hope to expand upon in the future. And everyone’s favourite Giveaways. Because who doesn’t like free stuff?
Feel free to say hello! Due to the volume of requests, I apologize I can’t respond to every inquiry though I do read every single one.
Let’s Work Together!
To find out more about how we can work together on sponsored posts, if you have advertising inquiries and my copyright policies, please visit my FAQ/Site Policies page.